Thursday, August 1, 2013

My Home- Cured Bacon

I really didn't think of making my own bacon until I saw the pork belly (bacon cut) S&R was selling. I must admit, it's such a blessing to have time to go shopping on a weekday, less people, relaxing stroll from one aisle to another and more choices for me. When I saw the pork belly streaks, it reminded me of S&R's cured bacon itself. They sell good bacon by the way.

For a change, thought I start fresh, like make my own bacon "again" instead of buying the commercial ones.
This was my second attempt on dry curing my own bacon. This time, I was successful. One of the most important things to take note of in producing good bacon is the freshness and the cut of the meat itself. On my first try 4 years ago, it didn't turn out well because I used regular pork belly slices which is thicker than the ones I recently used.

The process of home- curing is very easy. Of course it will all depend on the bacon marinade you're going to use.

Here's a link that may help you. Home- cured Bacon

Here are some points:
1. Buy fresh pork belly streaks.
2. Once you've marinated your meat, put it in a Ziploc.
3. Refrigerate for 7 days.
4. Every other day, turn the Ziploc upside down or just enough to reposition the meat in the bag.
I personally prefer using Ziploc in marinating meat. It's well- sealed and it preserves freshness.

My second batch is on the way. Even if the waiting period sucks, it's all worth it. Breakfast is love with bacon. Our champorado is made special with bacon on the side. Bacon can make a bland, ordinary sandwich more enticing and exciting to eat. Plain bacon and rice is the best!

No comments: