Saturday, December 5, 2009

Left- Over Magic---Ampalaya Con Carne

Left over magic. Well we all get into the situation when we end up having so much left-overs. With my experience, even when I was a kid, my mom would make a new dish out of some left-overs (still edible and in perfect condition) that she can find in the fridge.

At home, we often find ourselves preparing a recipe more than what it can originally yield. We Filipinos have the habit of eating more than 3x a day, aside from the snacks we take in- between. Left-overs plays a very big part in our kitchen.

Remember my Food Trip Friday entry for this week? Braised Beef I actually cooked a recipe that will serve 6 people.
Using some of our beef left-overs, I was able to cook a very healthy dish. I added slices of Ampalaya or Bitter Gourd, ended up with Ampalaya Con Carne.

Ingredients:

5 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 medium red tomatoes (cut into quarters)
Left-over braised beef ( a full bowl)
2 medium Ampalaya (sliced into pieces)

Saute garlic in olive oil until medium brown
Add onion and tomatoes, stir for a few seconds
Add left- over beef with sauce (pour everything!)
Stir for a few seconds
Add slices of Ampalaya.
Stir until Ampalaya is cooked (not overly done)
A dash of salt and pepper.

Serving: 3-4

Note: The # of servings will depend on the amount of beef (left-overs used)

9 comments:

Willa said...

Nice one. Hubby come up with some ideas with the left over. He put the beef in the oven and make it a li'l crispy, then he paired it with french fries. :D
Again, I'm really thankful to your recipe post because it's very rare that hubster will ask me to cook something again like that at least once every two weeks. I have to print your post so I won't forget.lol!

Enchie said...

You're very welcome Willa! I'm glad that may recipe came in handy :)

Tetcha said...

I love ampalaya, and "recycling" left-overs is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Enchie said...

You're very welcome Mommy Tetcha!

Lulu said...

i always recycle... nakakapanghinayang kasi kapag itapon lang... mahal kaya ang bilihin ngayon...

love ampalaya con carne..btw

Enchie said...

Hi Lulu! Very well said sister!

♥peachkins♥ said...

great job ench!

Nhil said...

Favorite ko ito. :) Tama yan, sayang naman kung itatapon lang yung mga natirang pagkain di ba? :)

Anonymous said...

I love ampalaya! In fact, I just became a fan of it in Facebook!