Thursday, February 17, 2011

FTF: Easy Beef Gyudon


It all started with Yoshinoya's bowl of Beef Gyudon... It's really our favorite, especially when served with red ginger. One evening, my husband asked me if I know how to cook Gyudon. It's sort of a request too. I don't really know how, but for me, as long as I have the ingredients everything will follow. So I went online to search for the common Beef Gyudon recipe. It was a fast find with the right ppc management. The traditional Gyudon recipe is compose of real Japanese ingredients such us: sake or Japanese rice wine and mirin.
Gyudon or simply beef bowl is a dish of beef and onion served over a bowl of rice, often topped with raw egg. Gyū means beef, and don  for donburi, which is the Japanese word for bowl.
I found a video (which was great), my husband was dictating the procedure to me, while I prepare the ingredients.
Please take note:
  • we substituted a mix of 1/4 cup white wine, 1/4 cup soy sauce and a teaspoon of sugar in replacement for sake and mirin.
  • 1 tsp. of fresh minced ginger instead of powdered ginger


Even with the substituting made with some of the ingredients, our bowl of Beef Gyudon tasted exactly like the traditional Gyudon bowl. Thanks to this Easy one-pot Gyudon (beef bowl) video. It would have been perfect though if we have some pickled red ginger in stock. Which reminded me to visit a Japanese store as soon as possible.

12 comments:

peachkins said...

yumyumyum Enchie! Parang pang-resto yung bowl mo ah..

jellybelly said...

How timely naman this post. Been having Yoshinoya's Beef Bowl for dinner everyday this week. My new fave!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Looks tasty!

Spice Up Your Life

Clarissa said...

I love mine with lots of red ginger,too!It's really easy to do beef gyudon right?^_^

Good luck to your Japanese cooking,Mommy Enchie!

Four-eyed-missy said...

That's a beef-dish that I'm eager to try. Generally I don't eat beef but I think this one looks yummy and worth trying out. What a great photo, too.
Thanks for sharing the video as well.


We Ate This!

Unknown said...

don't you just love the internet?:p
now we can concoct recipes at the drop of a hat. your gyudon looks delicious--mukhang galing resto.:p

Cheerful said...

sarap...love the presentation, thanks for sharing the procedure! happy food trip friday! :)

Jenn said...

...and I would say the picture looks as if it came from a magazine - which is a compliment; I love how you photographed the dish, it's so beautiful!

my Food Trip Friday post

nuts said...

wow! great presentation and the food looks very yummy! thanks for sharing the video here.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

It's like Beef and onion with a twist!

genejosh said...

blessing talaga yong youtube ano, even sa cooking they could help ..sis parang na-imagine ko na ang cute nyong couple in the kitchen:) that's truly division of labor:)

Jay-agent112778 said...

yummy naman nyan! pahingi ako pls

great shot ms.Enchie

heres my share for this weekend