Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Curry Dish

In India the word "curry" is heavily used in the southern parts in languages such as Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam. The word "kari" has its origins in Classical Tamil that means "vegetable in sauce" or "sauce". -source-
Curry is famous in the Mediterranenan area and Asia too. Part of the Thai menu we just had last weekend, were Curry dishes.
The term curry is used broadly, in English, to refer to almost any spiced, sauce-based dishes cooked in various southern and southeastern Asian styles. Though each curry has a specific name, generically any wet side dish made out of vegetables and/or meat is historically referred to as a "curry" - especially the yellow, Indian-inspired powders and sauces with high proportions of tumeric.
Yellow curry is the most famous of all. The curry I used for the dish above is the common powder we see in our local grocery store. The more curry, the spicier it gets.
The Recipe: Pork Curry

What You Will Be Needing

1 K of pork cubes
1 medium green bell pepper (sliced)
4 medium potatoes (cut into quarters)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 medium onion (chopped)
ginger (thumb size sliced into pieces)
1/2 C milk
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsps olive oil
water
salt and pepper to taste

How To

In a sauce pan, saute garlic in olive oil until light brown
Add onions and ginger
Add pork, continue stirring for about a minute
Add water (enough to cover the pork) and simmer for a few minutes
When meat is soft and tender, add potatoes and enough water until potatoes are cooked
Add milk and curry powder, simmer for a few minutes until sauce is thick. (add water if necessary)
Add salt and pepper
Garnish with green bell pepper

7 comments:

Cecile said...

This curry looks so yummy :-) I will try your recipe next time; we love curry foods!

sweetytots said...

my fave curry dish is by my sis-in-law.. she doesn't cook well at all, most of her dishes are "blah" but her curry is delish.. looks as good as yours.. btw, i like your new layout..

Enchie said...

thanks again ladies. I love this dish so much, but I gotta make it mild for my little boy.

Anonymous said...

love curry dishes so much!!! my husband cooks chicken curry really good, but this pork curry really look yummy. might convince him to try this as well . . .

Anonymous said...

I love curry but I'm the only one who does :( I'm gonna try this some weekend when hubby will fend for himself!

Umma said...

Never liked curry before, but I tried once in a restaurant and I started to crave for chicken curry.. so so yummy pala..

Can you imagine how I missed one of the most delicious dish? If not from hubby, will never tried it.. but I started to crave the food now..

niko said...

i will try to cook this one tomorrow!! thanks for the recipe ench.. hmmm nagutom ako bigla sa photo mo! :)