Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bulgogi

For the record this was my first attempt to prepare Korean. It all started when my husband asked me if I can cook Korean BBQ because his friend at work prepared some for their picnic Wednesday and he said it was very good. My answer was: "I'll look into it" because honestly, I have no clue about the ingredients and the method of cooking used when it comes to Korean cuisine. As researched, Bulgogi or Korean Beef BBQ is marinated beef cooked using the traditional way of grilling.

Others: Dak Bulgogi for chicken and Dwaeji Bulgogi for pork.

 Ingredients---

Filling:
  • Thin slices of sirloin
  • Pieces of lettuce
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1/4 mung sprouts
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • salt and pepper
Marinade:
  • 2 cups soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
  • 1 tbsp dry white wine
  • 1 tsp sugar 
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions or scallions
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
How To:
  • Marinate thin slices of beef overnight.
  • Grill over at Gridiron or any griller available.
  • Cut beef into smaller pieces.
  • In a pan heat cooking oil.
  • Add chopped onions and stir for a few seconds.
  • Add mung sprouts and stir until its half-cooked.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.

Lettuce Wrap:
  • Prepare washed lettuce
  • Top 1 tsp cooked rice
  • 1 tsp of cooked mung sprouts
  • Top strips of beef
  • Wrap lettuce, best eaten with some homemade Kimchee
Optional: boil extra marinade and use it as sauce for the lettuce wrap.

If necessary adjustments are to be made, suggestions, please feel free to leave me a message. I'm very open on improving this dish and discovering more about Korean cuisine.

Enjoy!

1 comment: