Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Try a Fun Fruit Parfait on Mother's Day

Mother's Day is up ahead. Any ideas on how to celebrate it? Mother's Day has always been about honoring our moms. Most of the time, or let's say, most of us spend this day by having a grandiose celebration. There are other ways to make Mother's Day special and inexpensive. Why don't you try preparing something delicious, a dessert your mom have never tried before...

Here's a Special Mother's Day Feature: Kendra Thornton's great way to start a special day.


Kendra's story behind this delicious and refreshing dessert

As the days grow longer and the warm May breezes begin to blow, we know that Mother’s Day is just around the corner. Time with family is precious, and the second Sunday of May gives us the perfect opportunity to spend time with those who matter most. If you happen to be looking for a special recipe to share with your family this Mother’s Day, I have exactly what you need! It’s called the “Peach and Raspberry Parfait,” and my family simply wouldn’t have Mother’s Day without it.

I first discovered this delicacy at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn while vacationing in Orlando with my family. My travels have acquainted me with many interesting people and brought me many interesting experiences, but family matters most. This is why every Mother’s Day my family enjoys spending a little time together in the kitchen. In fact, this routine has become a Thornton family tradition, and recipes like the Peach and Raspberry Parfait help us make the memories we will treasure forever.

This simple parfait is a great way to start a special day. Inexpensive and full of nutritious fruit, it works great as a fun breakfast or as dessert after a Mother’s Day luncheon. Be sure to serve it with an extra helping of love.
Peach and Raspberry Parfait
Makes about four servings. Requires about five minutes prep time and 20 minutes total time.

Ingredients:
  • 2 fresh peaches cut into 2 ½-inch pieces
  • 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
  • ½ fresh lemon
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 pint vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (I use Edy’s Slow Churned Yogurt Blends to minimize caloric intake without sacrificing flavor.)
Directions:
  • In a large mixing bowl, toss together peaches, raspberries and sugar. Be careful not to crush the fresh fruit. 
  • Squeeze one-half lemon over the mixture.
  • Then grate and sprinkle some lemon zest into the fruit. 
  • Toss once more, taking care again not to crush the fruit. 
  • Set mixture aside to chill in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Scoop vanilla ice cream or yogurt into dessert bowls or fancy cocktail glasses. Top with the fruit mixture. I like to give generous helpings of two scoops of both ice cream and fruit.
Whatever you plans are for this Mother’s Day, I hope they involve spending a lot of time with your family. Perhaps this recipe will help you make some happy memories together.

Kendra Thornton: Travel advocate, TV spokesperson, PR businesswoman, proud wife and mama of 3. I am a long time travel expert who has been packing my bags and traveling the world since I was 3 months old! I've found my utmost desire in life is right here in my own home. This last post was inspired by my previous trip to Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, ranked amongst some of the top Orlando hotels , for fabulous and decadent foods. I have mixed my excitement for travel by bringing the taste of authentic cuisine to my own home with some of these unique recipes. Enjoy!

0o0o
Not only it's going to make mom happy, but this fruit parfait is perfect for the hot weather we're having. Stay tuned for I will be making a Filipino version of Kendra's fruit parfait using our native fruits such as: mangoes, watermelon, banana, pineapple and papaya. It's refreshing!

No comments: