Friday, May 8, 2009

Food Trip Friday---Mom's Carbonara


Since Mother's Day is already around the corner, I am featuring one of my Mom's specialties.
The whole week I was craving for my mom's carbonara. After finishing what's scheduled from Monday- Wedenesday, rain or shine, I went to visit my mom and requested her to cook Carbonara for me. I'm still eating up to now. So consider this as my food trip today (Friday!). Thursday afternoon, we made some fresh pasta to go with her famous, chunking white sauce. As soon as were done with the cutting, we immediately cooked it. One thing I learned, fresh pasta taste better if you cook it right away :D
Added Turmeric (luyang dilaw) for a change.
*Although usually used in its dried, powdered form, Turmeric is also used fresh - much like ginger. It has numerous uses in far east recipes, such as fresh turmeric pickle (which contains large chunks of soft turmeric).

Turmeric is used to protect food products from sunlight. The oleoresin is used for oil-containing products. The curcumin/polysorbate solution or curcumin powder dissolved in alcohol is used for water containing products. Over-coloring, such as in pickles, relishes and mustard, is sometimes used to compensate for fading.

In combination with annatto, turmeric has been used to color cheeses, yogurt, dry mixes, salad dressings, winter butter and margarine. Turmeric is also used to give a yellow color to some prepared mustards, canned chicken broths and other foods (often as a much cheaper replacement for saffron).

Turmeric is widely used as a spice in South Asian and Middle Eastern cooking. Momos (Nepali meat dumplings), a traditional dish in South Asia, are spiced with turmeric. In South Africa turmeric is traditionally used to give boiled white rice a golden color.

More fresh pasta. this time, its healthier! See Turmeric for its Medicinal uses.

13 comments:

Willa said...

wow! you are really so into pasta making, I guess making your own at least sigurado ka with it's freshness! yummy naman ng carbonara na iyan, I don't know if I can cook it, though Patrick was asking for it for a while.

Four-eyed-missy said...

Sarap! And wow- you make your own pasta?? Bilib ako... I'm sure the white sauce is a closely-guarded family secret :) Sarap ng food trip mo!



We Ate This!

Unknown said...

That's quite some job to do. My cousin and I used to make our own fresh pasta. Kaya lang ma trabaho. I'm a pasta lover too. I make my own and experiment some other sauces.

Ebie said...

Yeah, its a lot of work, but with a expert like Enchie, in an instant!

Enchie said...

Thanks guys! I really love cooking. Once you get used to making pasta, it will be easy. And thanks Ms. Ebie! hugs!

Anya said...

SARAP! Carbonara is my specialty (kuno) pero I bet your mom's version is better, hehe. And you make your own pasta, nice.

Unknown said...

Ang galing mo nman enchie, you know how to make pasta, ako hanggang subo lang ang alam hehehe.Ang sarap nman nyan.

agent112778 said...

labor of love ang pasta making

i love carbonara too

my entry is hereGreat day for us Food Weekenders:)
Thanx for the Visit :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

wow,you make your own pasta.The carbonara looks yummy!

Arlene said...

Hmm ur mom cooks yummy. I agree with you -- fresh pasta is great to be cooked right away.

And on turmeric -- yeah have used that several times as it has it's many use. Indians love this powder too.

Ladynred said...

Wow!looks delicious! I love pasta too! Happy Mother's Day!

Clarissa said...

wow!!mabuti ka pa,may pasta maker!!\(^0^)/I have been trying to find some cheap pasta maker--mahal eh!!That carbonara looks yummy to me!!

Happy Mother's Day,Enchie!!^_^

nath said...

pasta..pasta.. I luv pasta...