Thursday, August 5, 2010

Body Mass Index

I'm often asked by some people, most of them are parents, how come my son is thin. It's been a frequently asked question, to a point that it made me feel that they think my son is not healthy. When I became a mom, one of the things I took note of from the list of advises my son's pediatrician, is being able to keep the child healthy by being able to maintain the child's normal weight right for his/ her age. I can't say "regardless of how the child looks like", but in my case, my son may not look big or "fat" but he is a lean boy. He looks thin but he is heavy.  His weight is right for his age. Using BMI, you can now calculate your child's weight and your very own weight in an instant. This can be useful, especially when you find it difficulty to set an appointment to see your doctor.

BMI or Body Mass Index is a calculated value which allows you to define how well the mass of the human body corresponds to the height and consequently a degree of over- or underweightness. It was developed by Belgian scientist Adolphe Quetelet in 1869. BMI can estimate the risk of developing an illness due to excess or low weight.It can also calculate your body mass index using the weight and the height. BMI calculator can determine what the category you belong to: underweight, normal, overweight, or obese.They also provide  information on how to lose or gain weight, and several free diet plans. BMI is a giant step to a healthy living.

No comments: