Thursday, October 21, 2010

Crispy Shrimp Tempura

It's a Thursday which means weekend is just around the corner, and my younger sister paid us a visit today. And when sisters get together, the kitchen is expected to get busy.  I have some Tiger Prawns waiting,  aside from having a good conversation, a tempura dish would be wonderful.

To start: Tempura is a Japanese dish that is dip in batter then deep-fried. It goes with seafood or vegetables. The Tempura batter is compose of cold water, all-purpose flour, eggs, baking soda, oil, and seasonings like salt and pepper.

*Tempura batter is traditionally mixed in small batches using chopsticks to obtain its fluffyness.

*Please take note when making tempura, prawns should be peeled, deveined and washed well.

Aside from the usual flour and egg batter, I coated each with Japanese- style bread crumbs to make it crispy. Then deep-fried until golden brown.
Tentsuyu sauce: is the traditional Tempura Sauce

4 comments:

Petula said...

Mmmmm... yum!

☺lani☺ said...

Yum! Tempura is one of my favorites, love it!

Think With Your Taste Buds - Chicken said...

This has always been one of my favorite dishes.
Martha

Jaya said...

I love shrimp tempura, but I've never cooked it at home... now, after looking at your photo, I'm wanting some!