Friday, January 23, 2009

BananaCue and Turon

2 of the most popular Filipino afternoon snack.
Turon or fried caramelized banana. Banana wrapped in spring roll wrappers.
I had to research and look for the English term or words that would best describe and name the Banana used for Turon and BananaCue.
According to ManongKen, Saging na saba is known as Philippine's cooking bananas. It is a variety very abundant in every corner of the country.
What you will be needing:
Banana (preferrably SABA, thick banana)
Spring roll wrappers
Brown or white sugar
Jackfruit Preserve
Cooking Oil
How To:
Slice Banana into 2 lengthwise
Roll each slice on sugar of choice
Top each slice with some Jackfruit strips from the preserve
Wrap with Spring Roll Wrapper
Seal wrapper by putting water on the edge of the wrapper
Roll Wrapped Banana again on sugar until all covered
Fry until golden brown.
A Closer Look at these Yummy Goodness...
BananaCue was named after Barbecue because its exactly being sticked on a Barbecue stick. Only, its a banana.
What You will be needing:
Whole banana (preferrably SABA, thick banana)
Brown Sugar
Cooking Oil
Barbecue Sticks (bamboo skewers)
How To:
Cover whole banana with brown sugar.
Deep fry bananas
Pour more sugar and stir ocassionally until sugar is cameralized. Once it reaches its golden brown state, remove.
Stick two bananas for each bamboo skewer.
Enjoy! and have a Yummy weekend everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love both! try sprinkling toasted sesame seeds on your turon, masarap din :D

Umma said...

OMG!! I missed this banana Q waaah... sarap xia na meryenda pag hapon.. I used to eat that one when I did my vacation in Phils and I love it huhuhuh..

Kakamiss talaga.

Ken said...

Hi Enchie, thanks for the mention. And now I have access to the recipes for both - I never could get them right as I always depended on my favorite maglalako ng banana cue and turon ... so I will try your recipes once I have the time and will inform you of the results.

Looks very good though. Naglalaway na ako.

Ken said...

Oh, by the way, the turon is called many ways and upscale restaurants here in the US are serving them for desserts now: banana egg roll, banana spring roll, banana lumpia etc. But they never mention the Filipino beginnings.

Enchie said...

Thanks Ms. Foodie for the additional tip...keep it comin'

Enchie said...

Thanks for the additional info Sir Ken :)

Enchie said...

Hi Umma! I hope you have saging saba available there so you can make some for the family anytime you crave for it :)

Nedekcir said...

Saging na saba is not common in the US. However I found plantain can be use as a replacement. My post and picture here. You can find them easily in your local grocery store in produce department.

sweetytots said...

sarap.. i love your layout.. nagutom ako sa post mo.. buy lng ako ng bananaQ sa baba.. haha

i♥pinkc00kies said...

i so LOVE these!! add pa camote-q!!