Friday, January 16, 2009

Menudo

Who likes Liver? I do!!! I learned to love it when I found out sometime in my childhood I was Anemic. According to some medical findings, it contains all the things to rebuild blood. With my recipe today, Liver is used as a main ingredient to add texture and flavor. Menudo is a tomato-based dish, that the Filipinos love.

I have taken this recipe from the family's traditional way of cooking it. I learned it from my grandmother. Best Menudo I tasted was from her.
What You Will be Needing:
1/4 K of fresh liver cut into small cubes
1/2 K of pork cut into cubes
1 medium onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic minced
4 medium potatoes cut into cubes
1 medium carrot cut into cubes
2 medium green bellpeppers cut into small cubes
100g raisins
2 200g tomato sauce (as seen in picture)
2tbsp olive oil for sauteing
1 C water
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sugar (if needed)

How to:
In a sauce pan, saute garlic in olive oil until light brown
Add chopped onions stir for a few seconds
Add the pork meat
Add 1C water, simmer until half-cooked
When the meat is almost cooked, Add potatoes, raisins and carrots
Add water if necessary and simmer until pork, potatoes and carrots are cooked
Add Liver and bellpepper,and simmer for about a minute
Add tomato sauce, add water if necessary, simmer again for a minute
Add salt and pepper
Sugar to satisfy your taste
VIOLA!



Servings: 4-6
Happy Eating!
and Have A Great Weekend!

7 comments:

nanaygin said...

Been anemic most part of my life, too. I try to eat liver dishes as often as I can coz iron supplements are just not my thing. :)

Mira said...

I guess we have a common denominator here, LOL. I've been anemic most of my life too, so I'm in Iron supplement until now. I learned to eat and love liver when I was still a child. I love Menudo and it's one of my favorite dishes.

Enchie said...

Hi Gin and Mira!!!thank you guys for visiting :)Liver is also good served steak-like :)

Mary Ann Moreno-binuya said...

Hi! I also love cooking for my husband and kids. Hope to see more recipes in your site. God Bless!

Mary Ann

desperateblogger said...

sarap! i actually marinate the meat in soy sauce and kalamansi first.

Enchie said...

Hi Maryann! thank you and definitely, there will be more :)

Enchie said...

Hi Mommy! Thank you for dropping by and for the additional tip (wink) will try that too.